Today we got up, had some breakfast in the hotel and then went across the parking lot to Tires Plus for a new set of tires and another oil change. Gotta love the customer service around here! The guy got us in and out in less than an hour and the price was great! And the car is so quiet now!
We went west to Grand Forks (the border town with North Dakota), then pretty much straight north along the North Dakota state line to the Canadian border. Again, we were probably the most exciting thing in the border guard's entire week!
Almost instantly after we got over the border, Adam observed (and I had to agree) that it looked a bit like the landscape had been ironed. And I was reminded of how strange it seemed (especially to a girl from a province that's always had oil) that the highways and streets are made of concrete rather than asphalt.
It took us until a little after 5 to get all the way across town to my friend Mike's (we hit some heavy rain on the highway and some pretty heavy traffic through town) where we are staying tonight. He has an adorable house that he's done a complete remodel on - just in time to get an offer he couldn't refuse to go back to Edmonton to work. We waited for his wife Kristen to come home, and then went out for a nice dinner on a patio (the rain had cleared and it had gotten quite warm and sunny).
We stopped for a couple of drinks at the CanadInn (where Celebrations is) with Gail, one of my best friends from the old days. It was so great to see her - I wish we could've made contact with a few others, but most of them have kids and we did get in later than I'd intended.
Tomorrow we'll do a little bit of sightseeing around Winnipeg - a few of the things I've always enjoyed, and possibly one or two sights that somehow I never got around to seeing, before we head on our way.
No comments:
Post a Comment