Saturday, 23 August 2014

Saskatoon to Edmonton - Alberta in August, how novel! - Day 33

After a little more visiting (and a dip in Uncle George's awesome pool), we hit the road for Edmonton. The highway is significantly better than I remembered it (I guess 10 or more years can do that, huh?) and the weather, while not great for the pool (occasional sunbeams through the clouds; the water was lovely and warm but it was not super-pleasant to have to get back out) was terrific to drive in... neither too hot nor too cold and no blinding sunlight through the windshield.

I was able to point out the Vermillion college where I went to Artstrek drama camp in highschool, but we didn't actually stop until Lloydminster, the city on the border between Alberta and Saskatchewan. We spent a good few minutes jumping back and forth over the border line, which is paved into the sidewalk, took some pictures, and then headed into the Alberta side of town, where (probably due to the single sales tax) had better restaurants in it, and had a lateish lunch. (As I believe I mentioned before, we call it "lupper.")

Then we carried on to Vegreville. After an initial hesitation, we took the old highway into town to see the World's Biggest Pysanka (Ukrainian Easter Egg). The new highway bypasses it, but I remember seeing it so many summers on our way to Saskatchewan that we couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Another highlight was driving past Elk Island National Park, where we saw a whole herd of buffalo out grazing near the highway. There were more of them in one place than I think I've ever seen!

We got into Edmonton before 7pm, and drove through to Mom and Dad's place in St Albert. We had a nice visit before my brother George and his son Logan arrived for dinner. We ate and then followed the boys back to their place, where we had a great long visit with George before bed. More adventures tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment