![]() |
| Suffice to say we have not mastered the "selfie" Adam says to tell you he thinks it's perfect. |
But Boston just sounded like a lot more fun. So we geared up for another longish day of driving (about 6 hours) and we'd figure out what to do about hotels when we got closer in.
Where was I? Oh yes... so we got off the highway near Worchester, MA and drove up to a hotel. Too much. I went online and found a much more inexpensive hotel in Westminster, which, it turns out, is more of a skiing destination, so not terribly busy in the summer. But people are stupid! This was a gorgeous drive north of Worchester, through some lovely woods, past dozens of colonial houses and old farms... so picturesque you just had to sigh. Any time someone tried to come up behind me going 10 mph over the speed limit on these beautiful winding roads, I just found the next place to pull over and let them by... this was a drive you want to do slowly, and enjoy it! (No, I'm not feeling ill... highways are for going fast. Quaint country roads are for experiencing!)

We checked into our hotel and went out in search of dinner. There was a brochure in our room for the 1761 Old Mill Restaurant and Cracker Barrel Pub. (I can't take credit for these pics - the trees are way too lush this time of year to get a good view, so I downloaded some.)
![]() |
| Yes, this out-of-focus one is mine... |
![]() |
| I didn't take this one either, but it looks like it was taken from our table! |
After serving in WWII, Ralph Foster and his wife Ruth bought the Old Mill and turned it into a restaurant, and it is now being run by the third generation of the family, over 65 years later." (quoted from the brochure)
Tonight in the main restaurant, there was a "murder mystery" - and for those of you that know me well, you will know that after so many years of interactive theatre, I generally try to avoid it. And there was a lineup. So we went downstairs to the pub. It was one of the best meals I've ever had.
First of all, they bring you corn fritters, and dinner rolls, and pecan stickybuns. Life's uncertain, right? Eat dessert first. All of these things were so delicious that I hardly had room for my baked haddock casserole (imagine a huge filet of delicious haddock topped with crabmeat and shrimp and butter and breadcrumbs and baked) and side of mashed butternut squash. So. Freaking. Awesome. Adam had a Chicken Parmigiana sandwich (a whole order of Chicken Parm on a bun with fries). And 3 22oz beers. And since this was a really fancy restaurant, the cheque came to about $48.
Completely stuffed, we went back to the hotel to relax and digest and catch up on our "nerding out."
Satisfied sigh......



No comments:
Post a Comment