We had a fantastic sleep at George's house and then tried out his amazingly awesome shower (rain showerhead, oh yes!) and then went for a visit with Mom and Dad. Since Dad's car had just (finally, after about a gazillion years and over 350000km) given up the ghost, we introduced him to the magic of craigslist to look for a new one. We had breakfast and went to the farmers' market that happens just outside of their condo building (and Adam got some delicious Indian food for lunch). After a bit more visiting, Adam and I went to the Fringe.
Growing up in Edmonton, the Fringe Theatre Festival was an incredible summer highlight. And it was a great thing to be able to show Adam. We saw a guy on a 12' unicycle juggle knives and chainsaws, we ate fringe food (including, of course, green onion cakes for me!), and I tried a delicious Big Rock beer I've never had before (Purple Gas, a wheat beer flavoured with saskatoon berries and agave nectar... MMMMMMmmm!)
We also connected with my 2 favourite "Liz"es, my awesome college friend Liz Allison (Jorde) who was stage managing at least one show and was on the Fringe Jury so she was incredibly busy, but we were able to track her down at the Varscona Theatre before her call for the show, and my cousin Liz King (who just surprised us all with an email last week that she'd married her wonderful man Tony (the two of them came to our wedding last year)). Liz and Tony and his two younger kids had just been to the gym at Kinsmen Sports centre, and came out to meet us and blow all that healthy sportiness on Fringe food for dinner!
We wandered over to the Yardbird Suite (Edmonton's premiere jazz club- Adam sang the song "Yardbird Suite" as we walked up and I admit shamefacedly that I didn't recognize it.) and checked out the Big Miller statue (in Big Miller Park) and looked at the street marker for Tommy Banks Way (the jazz pianist turned Canadian senator - the street on which the jazz club sits has been renamed in his honour), and then went back to St Albert across the Walterdale bridge - probably the last time we will drive over that version of the bridge, as it's being replaced by a swanky new bridge which should be operational next summer. (And I will go out of my way to avoid the old bridge in the winter, because it has regularly tried to either kill me or my car.)
We got back to George's and sat down with George and Logan to watch the second of the new Spider Man movies on his GIGANAMOUS tv (a projector that converts the whole wall of his basement into a screen). I was glad that I was a bit braced for the ending, having been well versed in Spidey history by my ex, Roy (aka the comic book guy) or else I would have been much more upset.
Tomorrow, some more quality time with my parents, and then south to Calgary for the beginning of the end of this adventure.
No comments:
Post a Comment